Mill Creek’s proactive, public efforts to work with developers in creating a new commercial, residential, and civic center for its community was a trailblazing effort within the region. Unlike the normal planned community approach in which a single developer organizes land parcels according to a preconceived financial plan without public input, the City of Mill Creek, led by MAKERS’ design team, developed a plan based on the vision of its citizens as well as a realistic market analysis. The team:
- Conducted charrette/workshops in which citizens, public officials, and property owners formulated a concept for future implementation.
- Conducted a market study to determine the projected demands for various economically viable uses.
- Initiated discussions with property owners and set a framework for cooperative marketing of the separate parcels.
- Prepared guidelines and review procedures.
- Delineated a format for a development agreement between the City and prospective developers that identified shared infrastructure costs and set design development standards based on a City-conducted pro forma analysis.
Plan by Makers, implementation by others.
City of Mill Creek, WA
Town Center Development Planning, Community Outreach, Design Guideline and Review Consulting